Whether you are a long-established business or a brand new start-up, it’s never a bad time for a marketing audit. But what exactly is a marketing audit?
What: A marketing audit is the practice of taking a fine-tooth comb to a company’s existing marketing efforts. The audit will take into account all facets of an organization’s external communication. It is a practice that guides in the evaluation of results and is often used as a tool to guide strategic business planning.
Why: Marketing audits are important when it comes to developing new marketing strategies, updating existing plans and examining budgets. They tell a story about what’s working, what isn’t and what areas need more or less attention. When executed on a regular basis, these audits can be immensely valuable when it comes to making informed decisions about a business’ growth.
How: Marketing audits are often hired out in order to obtain unbiased insights. However, if you’re hoping to get a quick rundown of your company’s overall marketing health, there are a few simple steps you can do today to start getting some of the benefits of a full-scale marketing audit.
Start with the following questions:
- What do you do and who do you serve?
- Make a list of all the different places where your brand communicates (ie. in person, your website, social media, online ads).
- How often do you communicate on each of these different platforms?
- What are you saying? Is your message cohesive?
- How much money are you spending in these different areas? How much money would you like to be spending?
- Where are you getting the most traction? (This questions is the hardest. Tools like Facebook Analytics, Google AdWords and Analytics, and data from your website can help.)
Let our Marketing Services’ Team help you with your next marketing audit. Call us today to learn more! 202-747-0404